Do you want to give your child the best start in life?
Learning Edge Montessori Preschool is owner operated and licensed for 20 children in a session. We have been serving the West Auckland area for 14 years from our centre in Titirangi and our dedication to childrens' learning has been proven many times over.
We have a team of Montessori and Early Childhood fully qualified and fully registered teachers who share a passionate belief in Montessori philosophy and practices.
Montessori is an educational approach developed by an Italian physician and educator – Maria Montessori.
It is known for its emphasis on independence, freedom within limits and respect for a child’s natural, psychological, physical and social development.
This method of preschool education encourages each child to reach for and attain their greatest potential.
Some of the defining principals of Montessori are:
- Child choice of activity from within a prescribed range of options
- Uninterrupted blocks of work time – 2.5 to 3 hours ideally
- A constructivist or discovery model where students learn concepts at their own pace from working with materials rather than by direct instruction
- Specialised materials developed by Montessori which have a specific purpose are in the main self corrective
- Freedom of movement within the environment
- The use of real tools, crockery
- Children are responsible for keeping their environment and equipment beautiful
- An indoor outdoor flow where children can choose to work inside or outside
- Having Montessori trained teachers to guide children through their learning journey.
Our centre - A calm & encouraging environment
We are proud of our calm encouraging learning environment. With small class sizes of no more than 20 children to 3 teachers, children experience 1:1 personal attention from teachers and are able to work independently or co-operatively with others with their chosen work. We have a full range of Montessori materials available to encourage learning, stimulate curiosity and promote children’s development in all curriculum areas.
Children’s interests are recognised and some are developed into topic based learning and these are evident throughout the entire centre both indoor and out. We strongly promote parent partnerships through social events, trips, cultural festivals, children’s portfolios.